Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Wed. 12.40am..also Wed. 11.56 pm below.
Just to let you know there is a revised time for the Walk to Croker meeting on Thursday night is now at 9.30 not 8.30 as previously advised. Hopefully there will be a big turnout for same as it's all shoulders to the wheel time again.

I have had some additional information on the composition of the Irish/Autralian Football team with Boyle connections. As already posted Rock Hanmore will join up with the Irish AFL team in Oz....(The Irish Warriors), and one of the Irish based players heading out to play is John Tierney from Bailieborough, Co. Cavan. John is the son of Christine Tierney and grandson of Micheal O'Callaghan and could easily have represented Forest View Green Warriors as a youngster. John has been in Oz with a Gaelic football yonks ago and played for Cavan for I think four years as a minor and later the Cavan teams including senior but injury and maybe playing too much too young blighted his GAA career.
He has been with the Warriors for 2 seasons and was on the team that won the European Cup last year in Sweden. So thats another player with Boyle connections. The best of luck to all involved.
I got a very good note from Canada, parts of which I will post, maybe tomorrow night. I'm in the middle of a turf campaign in my spare time these evenings. There is a bit of Dunkirk feel, at the moment, about getting it home.

Wed. 11.56. Turf home.
Extract from Canadian reader's letter:
“Interesting article about Roch, I see big Joe Cunnane from Tulsk is also on the panel of players. Joe was once on the Underdogs on TG4 I think.
I also saw a very interesting picture of Killian and Damo on facebook. They both live together but both were on different teams in the final in Melbourne a week ago. The pitch was a mud bath, not very Australian like weather! Damo was the captain of the winning team. I can send ya the pics if you are not linked up on facebook yet.
I also won a championship myself here this weekend. I was playing midfield no less for the Vancouver Harps in the Western Canada GAA championship held in Calgary this weekend. My partner at midfield Cillian Finn played Midfield for Meath against Roscommon in the 2006 All-Ireland Minor Semi so he lorded it for us in the middle, good player. Before the game I told him " Look Cillian .. you do the jumping and I'll do the thumping"... joke.. but I remember Tom Ryan regaling that story of his first game for Boyle when John Finneran was his midfield partner! It was weird before the game they would call out the team and say "Cillian and Tadhg at midfield", I hadn't heard that for a while. It was a 12 hour drive from Vancouver through the Rockies, pretty spectacular drive. I used to complain when we had to travel 1 hour to play Pearses back in the day! We now get to play in the All-American championship finals in San Fran in September.”
Lotto from last week end. It took place on Sunday night in The Craoibhin because of the games on Saturday. The numbers drawn were: 6/18/19/28. There was no Jackpot winner. The €20 winners were: John Healy/Dermot Hayden/Pat Wynne/James and Ailish Goldrick/ Seamus Cooney/ Jason Harrington/Christy Dunne/Sean Cooney/Karen Purcell/Oriel Regan. The house prize went to T.J.McDonagh. The next draw, for a Jackpot of €4000, will take place in The Railway Bar on Sat. August the 13 with team ‘A’.

No comments: